Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Santa's Missing Beard

Mason was writing the word Banana and ran out of room for all the letters.
I love that he made them  into characters.
On our journey this morning as we drove past the preschool Mason shouted, "Hi Preschool.  See you in a little while!"  Then realization hit and he said, "Oh no, I forgot to make my book last night for Teacher Bev."

We asked him about this and he said he had wanted to make her a book as a present.  We told him he could work on it tonight when we got home because he still had one more day of school before the break.  So tonight as we were gearing up for bath and story time and such he said, "Is there still time to work on my book?" I had no idea what time it was, but of course there had to still be time.  We got into our pajamas and he went to pick out the pages.  "Mommy you write the words I want to say and I will do the pictures. Remember, like that airplane storybook we did?"  I remember it well.

One of Mason's Drawings from another night of projecting.
So he found his paper and pencil and we sat down.  Ellie wanted to watch the Christmas movie from Grammie so she and Daddy snuggled on the couch while Mason and I worked on the book.  I thought it might not work out with the movie on.  He was entranced by the story of "Yes Virginia" a sweet story of a girl who writes to the New York newspaper, The Sun to ask if there is really a Santa Claus.  If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. We watched it last night and when one little girl is saying there is no Santa Claus Mason shouted out, "She's wrong!" All the lights are lit on his "Believe Meter".

I waited patiently for the words I was to write and they came.  "First you need to write Santa's Missing Beard.  That's what the book is called."

So I wrote and as we worked he directed, "Now turn the page." Then more story unfolded.  It was a suspenseful story of Santa missing his beard and finding it and then in his hurry to deliver toys one fell from his sleigh and then he had to call upon his elf to make a replacement and on and on.  I think one of my favorite lines was when they had a Holly Jolly Christmas and danced around the tree.  By the end Mason was pretty tired out and didn't end up drawing any pictures, but he wrote his name and her name with a box around it. He took the book in his hands.

He was too tired to illustrate his book tonight.  Here is some art from a few weeks ago.  On the left is his concert invitation.  Remember Mason's Concert ? On the right is his drawing of Baby Isaiah.
I asked him, "How did you come up with this idea?"

He looked at his book and said, "I just want her to be happy like on my birthday when everyone gives me presents and I am happy." He put the book in his backpack and I overheard him telling Josh as I was laying in Ellie's room, "We don't want to forget this book."  No we don't.  Teacher Bev you are in for a real treat.  Happy Holidays to you.  We love you Teacher Bev.

1 comment:

teacher girl said...

You have the world's most creative kids. I love this story & the fact that you young son is already such a great storyteller! I learn something new in every post. Thanks for sharing!