Monday, December 12, 2011

Half Full

Monkey See, Monkey Do

My mother always taught me to see the good in everyone.  When someone was mean she'd say, "Kill 'em with kindness." Even when she didn't say it, she showed it in her kindness, her actions.  I remember a girl scout camp out where one girl in our troop was kind of annoying.  All the other girls worked really hard at making her feel left out.  I globbed in on this not being secure enough in my own self to do otherwise.  I remember the last day of the trip my mom consoling that girl who was crying.  I remember thinking how brave and caring my mom was.  I felt in that moment how I should have been acting rather than going along with everyone else just so I wouldn't be treated like her.

I love my mom's "Glass Half Full" outlook on life.  My mom has always been one to see the good. Always wants to make sure everyone is happy and okay.  It is an impossible task.  We must all go through the tough spots from time to time. I think it is these tough spots that help us appreciate the FULL spots. I was thinking about this idea this morning. I think it will drive our focus this week at school.  As I think about the roller coaster weekend we just experienced filled with its highs and lows there are many moments where you could ask yourself, "Is the glass half empty or half full?"  It reminds me of the speech at my Dad's Honorary Doctorate Ceremony.  The woman who spoke shared her story as an athlete where she learned the importance of viewing the world with a "Get To" rather than "Have To" attitude.


On our Thanksgiving trip to LA we were going to head to the store to buy ingredients to cook for my family.  The garage door opener we had wasn't working, so our car was trapped inside the parking garage.  We had to leave our car, but we "Got To" take a gorgeous walk into Westwood.  The kids found treasures the whole way...leaves, seed pods, "the tiniest pinecone you ever saw", balance beams, places to dance and sing, and more.


The walk was long and tiresome for these little legs, so a rescue call into Grandpa, who had made it home from work, was in order.  We "Got To" see him and hang out more.

The last day of our visit my mom was hoping to spend the day with us.  This did not play out as planned.  We decided that this way was better.  We would "Get To" surprise her at work.  Uncle Chris had fixed our garage door button and we were able to embark on our journey.  The kids LOVE a fantastic surprise complete with sneaky elevator rides.


On our way the previous day Ellie would stop us and then, "Ready, Set, Go!"  We did this about 5 times down the sidewalk to the school.


 We made it to the playground for lunch time recess and Grandma was SURPRISED!  Hoorah!



The cup was overflowing!


Ellie instantly found the stroller and baby of her desire and all was well.


We found a tasty restaurant near a parking garage and the next day as we were heading out of town Mason asked, "Mommy today can we go to another parking garage and find a restaurant again?" That boy has always loved LA's parking garages.  Mom - Remember when he made you stand and watch all the "toll gates" while we shopped at the Farmer's Market when he was 2?




Nothing like a FULL day to call for a nap on the ride home.


I love you Mom!  See you soon.

3 comments:

Johnny said...

Aw, that's real nice... YOU BIG BULLY!!!

Anonymous said...

That was really nice Jen. Geared me up in the middle of this meeting. Dad

teacher girl said...

Your mom is a gem! I've never met her but just know this is true!