Sunday, December 11, 2011

Safe Journey



As we embark on any family trip it is tradition that we all stretch to reach each other and say "Safe Journey". This little tradition is one that I've carried with me on every trip since I was little and now am sharing it with my kids.  I recently attended a parent meeting at the preschool with the theme being traditions and building memories and then with the Thanksgiving season upon us the reflecting on my traditions and what I hold most dear in my heart is constantly in my mind.  As we arrived home from our "safe journey" up from L.A. I was busting with the love of my family and the anticipation of our next visit. I was laying in bed that night wishing I was not so tired and could stay up and write the stories that were dancing in my head, but I chose sleep.

Last weekend, as I imagine the next few shall be as well, was filled with magical moments of the holiday season.  Mason and Ellie could hardly wait to get out the door to deliver their Christmas cards to the neighbors.  In one Mason thanked our neighbor "for being so kind to take good care of our house when we go away on trips." I hope I find time to write and reach out to all my family and friends this season.  I have not been so organized the past couple of years.

To kick off the month of December we ventured out to our annual local Tree Lighting. It was a Thursday evening and I kind of wanted to stay home and relax, but we ate dinner and geared up for the adventure.  Mason told me he needed to "look his best" because we were going to see Santa.  He picked out red and white attire and then the final touch...this tie.  I have given up worrying too much about trying to get him to wear what I want him to wear.  He likes to choose so there you go. 


Ellie liked getting ready too and even let me put her hair up, perhaps the distraction of stealing Daddy's iPod was the trick.


Ellie loves cameras and taking pictures and was dying to take some so I convinced her to let me take a couple and then she could work her magic. A sassy shot...


Then let the dance off begin...




Rock Star!


Finally it was her turn...


She was not happy with just one...the strap was in the shot here, but with a bit of enhancing, Ta-Da there we are.


We finally got in the car and were off.  They didn't stop moving and dancing the whole walk from the parking lot to the event.




Me and my girl!

Ellie was so excited when we saw Santa and Mrs. Claus ride up in their horse and carriage. The horse was huge!  She was dying to pet it.  It was taller than Daddy and Ellie decided that she would ask Santa if she could pet the horse.  To her this took priority over gifts.

Their chat.

Meanwhile...Mason was chatting with Mrs. Claus. I overheard him telling her he would like a shiny star for the top of our Christmas Tree and anything nice that you have would be fine. While we were waiting for our turn to visit them Mason told me, "I am going to tell him, anything you have will be fine."  Josh and I had asked him the day before what he would ask Santa for. He said, "Well, 1st I lost my list.  And next, I don't remember what was on it. And 3rd I don't want to write another one."


They each got a stuffed toy, Mason got a Santa and Ellie got a Reindeer right out of that classy bag next to Mrs. Claus.  They were thrilled and then we were off to warm up with a cup of hot cocoa and a cookie.  It was official the start of the season began! Let's hope for a safe journey!


No comments: