Saturday, October 22, 2011

"I like you Mommy."

Tonight at dinner Josh pulled out the "fancy" dishes from our china cabinet.  Mason said, "When will we use that big flower plate?"

"How about tonight?", I replied thinking, we should be using this stuff more often. "What should be put on it?"

"Salad," Mason quickly shouted from the kitchen.

A penny for the fountain to make a wish...


I lit some candles and Ellie announced that it was her birthday.  As Mason started to tell her it wasn't really I started singing, "A very merry unbirthday to you, to you..."  Mason took the cue and sang something similar, but his own on-the-spot lyrics and then ran back to the kitchen to "make her a cake."  He grabbed an apple and stabbed a birthday candle in it and we lit it, turned the lights off, and sang "Happy Birthday" in the glow of the candles. The beaming smile and squeals of glee were infectious.


Just before dinner I had received a message from a far away friend that recently lost his mother. I had read an update from him the other day about his mom and it was written so beautifully.  I teared up thinking about her and although we had just met a few times back in college when I stayed at their house in Boston. I remembered her dearly.  I loved how with her Spanish accent she called me, "Hen". My friend shared with me how his mother had asked about whether or not we were still in touch and how I was.  It has been SO long since we have seen each other personally, but we reconnected online a while ago.  A whole country apart, but chatting now and then. Friendship is so amazing like that.  Time can pass and distance can come between you, but a connection can bring you right back to the fun memories you have with truly great friends. I was amazed to hear that she remembered me and I teared up again. I remember many great laughs and wish him the strength and peace that his post exuded. I can only imagine what it must be like for him at this time.  It makes me want to hang out with my mom more.  I loved seeing her last weekend even if it was brief.  I loved every minute. 


More pennies...
After dinner, Mason was anxiously awaiting my willingness to go up to his new room and play.  I said I would after I rinsed the dishes and he said, "Oh, because they are so fancy? Where did you and Daddy get those?"

I told him how they were presents at our wedding.

"I wish I got more presents."

"You will."

"Will I get married one day, Mommy?"

"You might. When you find someone you fall in love with, you might ask them to marry you."

"I like you Mommy."

"I love you, Mason."

"Hmmm, who is a girl that I know that I could marry?"

"You have time to find one."

"Let's go upstairs and play wedding day.  We will have to make a lot of plans.  Joey thinks that when people kiss at a wedding it's gross."

"I don't. I think it's lovely."

"Me too."

I think it is lovely that we have not yet reached the "it's gross" stage yet.  I know that day will most likely come, but I have to say I loved playing "wedding day" tonight.  We went upstairs and I had to use the pretend computer to type up the list of all the things Mason would need such as: flowers, decorations, bear suit, dresses, drinks, plates, rings, "and for my costume"...the list went on and on. (Did I mention I love how he referred to his attire as his "costume"?)

Mason in his "Ring Bear" costume this summer at Uncle Micah and Auntie Maddie's Wedding

Then I had to make my list. Then we turned all the lights off and waited for our guests because it was a surprise party wedding, but by the time Daddy came upstairs to play we were all pretty sleepy from hanging out in the dark and Mason sadly reported to him that we hadn't had time to "hang up the decorations."

It is amazing when you take a look at the world through the eyes of a child. At one point in the conversation he told me how when he got married we would all sleep in the same bed because people that get married share a bed.  I am pretty sure any future daughter in-law of mine wouldn't want to share her bed with me, but that isn't what he meant, it was just pure love.  The idea of us not being together does not compute. It is like my neighbor growing up that wanted to marry me when he was four, and was going to buy us a house in the middle of the street (when no cars were coming) so that we could both still live by our parents.

As we grow up and want to become more of our own self, we venture away, but then there is the strong desire to be a part of their day, to share with them, to be around that love.  I can't imagine my life without all the memories and love and support that my parents have given me through the years. I look forward to more to come and wish my far away friend the strength and peace to continue his journey through life in a new way.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Great words once again, sister!!!

teacher girl said...

LOVE your writing. Please write a book. I would love to reserve a copy right now. I learn so much from you!!!

Anonymous said...

As always, really wonderful. Yes a book!

Dad