Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Weekend Getaway

Since I returned to work I have been wanting to write and somehow the time escapes me. I have had many ideas for stories and yet they have stayed just that, ideas. In class we are talking about writing and how writers write about things that are meaningful. I recently stumbled upon a link to a blog on a friend's blog. I was drawn in by the photos and then was lost in the writing. Some of the posts hit so close to home that I found myself wishing for time to write, to share, to capture the love from the day. I suppose it would be another way that I could lose myself in the joys of life.


The first few days of school have been rough. The opposite of what I imagined and looked forward to. This was the first summer since my kids were born that I was somewhat excited to return to school. I still felt a sadness of shortening my weekday family time to the times when we are all exhausted, or rushing to be somewhere on time, but it was paired with inspiration to experience the joys of learning and sharing my teaching. I knew I could enjoy my work day, dive in head first and give all I could to build my classroom community, and come home to embrace the love Mason and Ellie share with me. Instead of a beautiful, graceful dive, I feel as though I have struck the water with such force that I come up gasping for air.

Last weekend, my loving husband planned a most rejuvinating getaway. He told me at dinner that night, "I am glad you are crazy enough to drive 3 hours to buy 5 plants."


I laughed at his humor and knew that the weekend was much more than a drive to get 5 plants. I know he knows it too.


It was about capturing the beauty of life. It didn't matter that the traffic was crazy, we were together. I love my family, my support. Last night Ellie looked up at me and said, "I love you so much Mommy." It is this love that moves me forward and pushes me back out to the edge of that board...I am not giving up. I will dive, I will find that beauty, that grace.

5 comments:

Noisy Nora said...

You are so beautiful, Jen. I admire your grace. You can do anything. Sounds like I need to make you a pitcher of mojitos soon. Love you my beautiful and talented friend. Love, Nora

The Howard Bunch said...

I love this!

teacher girl said...

I love your writing...and am sorry to hear the start of school has been rough! :( Hope it improves immediately... and I hope your students should realize how lucky they are to have you as a teacher!!!

The Schult Family said...

You two have such an amazing story - an inspiration to all. Just as wonderful, you are the Mama to 2 amazing kids. AND you are an amazing teacher. AND an amazing friend :)...D

Jen said...

I love you all...thanks for reading and sharing. I am on the road to empowering the gems in my room to bring about the amazing class I know they can be. Thanks for the encouragement!