Friday, September 02, 2011

Hit the Ground Running

The other day I was at an after school training for an Arts Grant that I am participating in. Josh and the kids came to pick me up at the end of a REALLY long day. They were all as exhausted as I was and the ride was a bit of a roller coaster, but instead of the manic screaming that sometimes ensues at that time of a long, napless day, the kids were "rockin' out".

Mason: "Mommy, we've been rockin' out. You want to see it."
Me: "Of course I do."
Mason: "Daddy, put that song on."


What came next was one of those moments where I wished I had a hidden camera to capture it all. I will have to rely on my memory to bring about a smile as I picture Ellie's groovy, little car seat dance which literally made me laugh out loud. Mason was laughing with his whole self. We all proceeded to laugh and hit repeat the whole way home.


A few days later, I was at an all day training for the same grant. Although The Arts are my passion, this day was challenging. I couldn't help, but feel overwhelmed by the task of teaching all these lessons to my group of students. I left that day with a heavy heart. I got into the car and hurried to meet up with the kids for the short time I had before leaving them again to go to the preschool orientation for the whole evening.

I needed a laugh, so I put this song on and pictured that groovy girl of mine. Thumbs up, shoulders rolling, smile beaming. I realized I had no idea what the lyrics of the song were. A few lines caught my attention and I began to listen more intently. I was struck by the metaphors. I was needing a parachute, a way to stay hopeful and "hit the ground running."

That night we visited with friends, new and old at the preschool orientation. As we walked through the door we were wowed by the giant picture of Ellie gracing the presentation screen. It was from the last day of school party last spring when she was covered in paint in the art area. A true beauty, in the zone of creativity. I couldn't help but get misty-eyed. As the evening progressed I was gathering, collecting, refueling my soul.

In the teaching profession I have found that I can never learn enough. I will constantly be seeking ways to better my practice. Each year there are the constants and then just when you think you have things figured out, you are faced with new challenges that force to to question yourself and what you do.

This week has been a test of strength and endurance. On Thursday night, I gave my Back to School Night presentation. I took inspiration from all my mentors and models over time and spoke from the heart about what I have come to realize are my true constants. It is my hope to share the wisdom I have gained about childhood. It is this that will continue to drive my teaching.

Today was the first day of the rest of my school year. I felt alive again. I felt the true passion I have for teaching. I got goosebumps as we sang and the eye contact reached my soul. I moved through my room of artists and they shared their insights and creations. I am no longer falling...I am hitting the ground running.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Excellent and inspiring words, sister!!!

Johnny said...

"In the teaching profession I have found that I can never learn enough."

Wow.

Anonymous said...

You inspire me! Love Dad