Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Highs and Lows

A couple of years ago a woman told me about a family tradition they had of sharing their highs and lows of the day at the dinner table. I had tucked this idea away in my brain and it surfaced early this evening while lying on the floor with Ellie and Mason. I was invited to read a story and take a spot on the floor with a pillow. We put our feet up on the couch and lay reading a favorite of ours by Lauren Child. I love all our Lauren Child books. This one was a Charlie and Lola tale, one that hits quite close to home Whoops! But it Wasn't Me. I love to play with British voices of this brother sister team and as I was reading the second time through, the story continued and my mind took note of how this was a true high of my day. Laying there bringing the story to life with my two, kicking my feet and letting the busy of the world wait.

As my mind relished in the moment, it then began to plan ahead and think of how highs and lows would be a topic tomorrow. I began to search for other ideas that stood out from the day. As we ate at the table, I had the sudden urge to get my haircut. Ellie had fallen asleep early and I thought I would take a chance and see if there was a last minute appointment available. So at 6:50 pm I booked a 7:00 pm time and got ready to make a dash to the salon. Mason told me as I jetted out, "Mommy have a good haircut and don't let them cut off all your hair or you'll be bald like Uncle Chris." The things he comes up with...another high.

So I arrive to meet my new hairstylist. She walks up with the funkiest tights/socks/not sure what they are exactly called. This Friday is Silly Sock Day so I am intrigued instantly and am wondering where to purchase such fancy legs. Before I can realize that the comment may sound weird I say to her, "I like your legs." As it floats in the air, I almost laugh out loud at how it may have sounded odd. So I divert the bizarro and talk about how they are intriguing tights. As the time passed I discovered her love of art and nature and creativity. I have found a stylist that I SO relate to. I may even be interested enough to book another appointment with enough advance notice to request her. I can't make any promises, but yet another high. We blabbed about gardens and art and both parted feeling inspired. I left with less hair and a lifted spirit.

On the drive home I was listening to music and rolled the windows down, opened the sunroof and let the warm, evening wind dance through my short springy curls. While the song sang "running" three people ran by on the sidewalk and I took note of how the same had happened with a solo runner on my way to the shop. We keep getting higher.

I got home to find my boys playing a board game with Tiny Teddy. Mason quickly shared with me how many aphids he and Tiny Teddy had collected. Then we brushed teeth, tested the wiggly-ness of the loose tooth and were off to snuggle with more stories. It is a bit of magic to watch him doze off to sleep. It makes me wonder what he'll be dreaming of.

So I am not sure what the lows are...I think I'll pass on those, for I have been chatting too often of that which is frustrating and it clouds my images of that which is joyful. I will close with a snippet of a couple weeks ago when Mason discovered hidden treasure in the garage. From back in the day when my friend gave me these Gym Girls they have been tucked away for one day to be revealed. The day came and it was hysterical. I will have to upload the video as the still photos don't quite do it justice to the true potential of these high quality items. To all my rowing friends...I think we didn't go quite glam enough. Check out these girls.




No comments: