Friday, August 05, 2011

A Fly on the Wall

I don't know why, but there seems to be an enormous amount of flies in the evenings this week and while I was laying down with Ellie I was thinking of that phrase, "Being a fly on the wall..." It so relates to how I was feeling today when I would take in the world of Mason and Ellie.

It all began this morning as I woke up near both of them. It wasn't the usual, "Mommy, sun up, get up." that Ellie likes to tell me with great determination. Today is was gradual, she woke and snuggled into me and wanted to embrace the morning slowly, easing into it. I was in heaven taking in every moment thinking how soon the mornings will not be so leisurely. Summer is ending and I want to pretend that it isn't. Mason was near us too, and he opened his eyes, looked at Ellie and reached out to her, wrapped an arm around her and pulled her in whispering, "I love you Ellie." I drank this in too, for I knew it would only be a matter of time before she would be bothering him in some way, not playing "the game" the right way, the way little sisters do.

This afternoon we ventured out into the patio. I was dying to transplant some plants, feel some soil, and bring some bursts of life to new spots in the yard. Mason wanted me to play LEGOs, but ended up settling for Ellie as his playmate. "Mommy look at what Ellie made with her LEGOs. Isn't her food table so cute? Don't you just love it?" (I guess she isn't so bad at "playing the game" all the time.) I can't help, but smile as Ellie plays with her LEGO guys. Often times they shout, "I have to go potty." I looked up from planting when I heard this and Mason caught my eye, he said, "That's just her LEGO guy, Mommy."

As the sun fell lower in the sky and dinner was just about off the grill, Daddy brought out some bubbles and I fell in love. I was a fly on the wall again watching the magic of these two. They blew bubbles and Ellie giggled whole heartedly, those deep giggles that are infectious. Mason couldn't help, but continue to bring about more. I wished I could capture it all on film, but if I had moved the moment would have been lost. So this fly will savor these moments in my memory and here in my words.

Just before mosquito hour hit, Mason invited us to ride on the Pirate Ship (our hammock) with him. Our imaginations took us on a fantastic journey before arriving at the dock of bedtime. Daddy brought in the new lightbulbs for the playroom upstairs in the loft and as Mason and I climbed up to see what he and Ellie had created Mason announced, "I never knew cleaning up could bring so much fun and so cute." Our little room was lit up beautifully with our new little lamps. So beautiful that Mason wanted to sleep upstairs. I can hardly wait to see what the new day will bring.


2 comments:

teacher girl said...

What a great blog you have! I'm so glad the link came up in my facebook newsfeed. I LOVE summer too. I'm glad you got to capture such a sweet moment in your memory. Your kids are adorable & I LOVE your writing. Can't wait to read more...I'm a new faithful reader & HUGE blog fan of yours!-Katie the student teacher

Noisy Nora said...

Gorgeous! Your love brings tears to me eyes! I can't wait to hear what tomorrow brings for you as well.