Sunday, August 07, 2011

Not sure what my title is...


So I have been feeling pulled in two ways by the coming week. I actually have a plan of attack in mind for organizing my classroom and surprisingly, the desire to work on this plan, yet I must wait until Monday to kick into gear. On one hand, I am eager to get there and put things in order, yet if Monday actually arrives it will mean the end of summer.

Bitter sweet symphony.

Wow, typing that line created a whirlwind of musical montage in my overtired brain. A mismash of end of summer tunes, but that's another story.

Back on track...so in my last post I was a fly on the wall of my wee ones and today that journey continued and at times was in slow motion. Having children can really help you stop and take in that which can usually go unnoticed. The other day we were out walking home from visiting new friends around the corner and I was amazed at how much I noticed growing on our block. There are so many wonders that you pass each day in your car, but are going too fast to notice.

Today we headed out to the Harvest Day over in Fair Oaks. What an amazing event. Mason and Ellie visited the vendors and made several connections with the volunteers.

At one booth there were several garden crafts they could make. One was to make a painted rock with the choice of ladybug or frog. When asked which one he wanted to make Mason stood deep in thought. The rocks were already painted red or green and the samples were there. He finally spoke, "But I want to make my own because I need to make a praying mantis, so when my egg hatches they will know they have friend." I tell you that boy is always thinking. Rewind: A couple of days ago he bought a praying mantis egg at the nursery and it is hanging in his garden. So he created his own version complete with the wiggly eyes.

On the other side of the booth you could make a "Grass Buddy". These are hysterical. You pile in a scoop of grass seed into a nylon and stuff it with soil, tie a knot, stick on two wiggly eyes and take him home to water. In a few day you have a grass hair buddy. Ellie and Mason LOVE theirs. They played with those guys when they got home. Gave them a bath and set them outside to let the fun begin. It's like a homemade Chia-head.

Around the other side of the table you could make a mask. A cheesy paper mask, but we were up for it. Ellie and Mason both chose the praying mantis one and I helped Ellie cut hers out and Mason was again waiting and thinking. Mason finally spoke up and said, "But I want to make my own." I suggested he turn his over and draw his own. It was awesome. Ellie was done and wanted to be a praying mantis and go climb the nearby tree so we were off. Later Mason joined us and Josh told me how Mason finished his and said, "Now mine looks like a REAL praying mantis." The icing on that cake is that he doesn't plan to wear it either, he made if for his praying mantis egg. I love that boy!


After crafting away Mason and I visited another booth and they had a brochure of a wheelbarrow garden. He picked it up and said, "Mommy what does this say? I want to make one of these." The man at the booth was giving away packets of seeds and Mason told me he needed carrot seeds. I didn't think the man heard him in all the hustle and bustle, but he did and quickly handed him a pack. Mason struck up a conversation with him about how he was going to make that wheelbarrow garden. The man said he had something special for him. Mason said, "I wonder what it is." He pulled from a bag a seed starter container and Mason was in heaven. Instantly his mind set to work planning how he would build this garden. He thanked the man and went to show Daddy and Ellie and then he brought Ellie over to see if the man might have one for her. Later just before we left for the day Mason stopped back by to chat with the man again explaining his grand plans for making his garden. I hadn't seen the man smile much, but I think Mason made his day.

Better get going and check on that egg, looks like some may have hatched!

No comments: