Saturday, October 21, 2006

Edible Complex

Mason was born on October 14th, about 5 weeks early. This was not really a problem other than the fact that our baby shower was scheduled for October 21st. Both Jen and I feel that little Mason heard about the party and, not wanting to be left out, made plans to be there in person.

About 3 days before the shower, my cousin called and asked me to email her my favorite picture of Mason. First of all, how hard is that?! Finding my favorite picture. I only have about 80 or 90 favorites of the 80 to 90 pictures I have taken so far. Well, I narrowed it down to a couple, flipped a coin and ended up with this one:
Fast forward three days. The day of the shower. We walked into my cousin's house to find the room filled with friends and family. It was nice to get together with some adults and have some conversations about adult things...you know...like babies.

On the table was a cake (there is always a cake), and on the cake was the winner of the coin toss. It was so cute and sweet (pun intended).
The baby shower played out as expected: conversations about the baby, presents for the baby, spinach dip and carbs! It was then time for cake. We all gathered around as Ariana, our hostess, began making slices through my son's face on the cake. Don't get me wrong, the cake was great, but there is something about watching your newborn child being sliced into little cubes that is somewhat unnerving.
The Masonic Cubes were served to the hungry guests, and Jen and I watched as these little cubes were devoured by our family and friends.

There are some cultures where canniblalism is the highest form of honor. To be eaten by loved ones ensures you will live on as a part of them for years to come. There is also the old saying "You are what you eat." In that case, Mason will be a part of me forever, and I will continue to be a little bit "snotty."

4 comments:

Chelsa said...

He looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

First of all...

YAY JOSH AND JEN!

Newborns are so adorable... and I already miss the way Merritt didn't give a rat's ass if I was holding him or not so long as he was warm and fed.

...oh you'll see :)

good to have found your blog, I have some catching up to do tomorrow at work

- Mike

Noisy Nora said...

Oh dear...I just am soo happy for you three..well four if we include sweet Onyx. We love you and know that you are running this newborn marathon with humor and an abundance of love. Can't wait to see you all soon! Love, Nora

Johnny said...

yo, daddy-o, bring on the pics. it's been a while. the kid driving yet? he in college? army? early retirement? what's going on? we have a right to know! dammit.