Friday, October 20, 2006

Baby Phantoms

Jen, Mason, and I got to bed last night around 11:30. While I love being with my son, it is nice to get that much needed rest! So, with Mason snuggly swaddled in his crib, and Jen and I nestled in our bed, we all drifted off to slumberland... for a bit.

At 1:30am, Jen woke me in a panic!

"The baby!" she said. "I can't find him."

Jen was rooting around in our bed and despratly grabbing at the sheets.

"The baby?" I asked puzzled. It was dark, and I was pretty sure he was not in the bed, but I couldn't be sure with my sleep daze still washed over me.

"I brought him here to be with us, but now I can't get him. It's hard to know which is the sheet and which is him." Jen was really grabbing at the covers now and trying to get ahold of Mason.

I got up to check the crib. There was Mason, sound asleep and dreaming of milk and poopies.

I returned to bed. "He is still in his crib. He's not here," I assured Jen.

"Oh, he's not?" Jen sounded exhausted from the pawing of the bed. "Oh, ah...I though he was here. I jusssss..."

She was alseep.

I drifted back to sleep and settled into a very satisfiying dream sequence (it was a great adventure dream... I love those!). Jen woke me up with alarming news.

"The baby! I can't find his head! He's here, but I can't find his head!"

The panic in her voice promped me to franticly scan the darkness of our bed. Jen had our son in her arms and was patting him down, as if fluffing a pillow... wait a minute! It was a pillow in her arms!

When we both calmed down a bit, we broke into a great hearty laugh. We had officially had our first "loopy parent" moment. The kind of stories that we will pass down to our children so they can tease and taunt us!

Jen got up and fed the baby.

As for me, I had an adventure to continue!

2 comments:

Chelsa said...

Like, three times in the first two weeks after Max was born, I woke up freaking out because I thought there was something horribly wrong with his face, only to discover that I wasn't looking at him head-on, but sideways, so instead of face I was seeing ear. Sleep deprivation + nervous parents = good hallucinogenic times.

Johnny said...

...eh, or maybe now that there're certain responsibilities in your life y'all should STAY OFF THE SHROOMS!!