Sunday, June 07, 2009

Our Family Just Got A Little Bit Bigger...

... and filled with a whole lot more love.  We are home, and today is the official due date of our little baby girl.  I am loving that we have spent the last 5 days welcoming her into the world and our family.  As I sit here with her sleeping on me, Mason napping, and Josh heading out to buy some groceries, I finally have a moment to write some of what I have been experiencing as I fall head over heals for my sweet Ellie.  

I couldn't help but get a little misty when I clicked back to 2006, to the first entries Josh wrote about the birth of Mason.  What a life changing experience and so magical!  The way he captured it all in words was so moving then and still today. Mason has brought so much love, laughter, and joy to us these past two and a half years and continues to share his love and excitement for the world as he woke up announcing that he needs some more "too mick" while half asleep this morning.  We had to giggle as we realized that he just declared the need to go buy some more "trail mix" because, "we are all out of some."  One of his rituals at Whole Foods is to stop by the self serve trail mix bar and scoop some "too mick".  This is after he cruises by the meat counter to see if they have any meat samples.  I can't help but wonder what he was dreaming of as his day began.

Okay, my little diversion has made me laugh and get rid of my misty eyes, so I am back to the topic at hand...introducing Mason's little sister.  

There is a song I love about little sisters that sings: 
"I guess we never knew how much we needed you, 
'Til you came into our life, 
Things were pretty nice. 
All the presents round the tree 
Were mostly meant for me, 
But if that's how its gotta be, 
We'll split 'em evenly, 
Because you're worth it, 
Maybe more..."  
"Yeah, we're doing cartwheels and somersaults, 
And it's all your fault,
Yeah it's all your fault.  
It's yoooou we looooove.  
'Mama, can I hold her?' 
It's yoooou we loooove. 
'Yes, put her on your shoulders.'..." 

I am not quite ready to recap the story of her birth, for although it was speedy, yet painful and amazing all in one, I will go out of order to share this first.  Mason has fallen in love with Ellie. "I want to hold her," he told me yesterday.  His baby sister is here. She's real. She is no longer in my belly. "Why she decide to come out, mommy?"

They snuggled on the couch together. 


Ellie pooped on him.


Being the boy he is, Mason returned the love by saying, "I love you Ellie."



4 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

Congratulations Momma! She's beautiful (and definitely got Josh's coloring!)

Johnny said...

Wow, just wow. Seeing the two of 'em together is just... beyond words. Enjoy this amazing time. And keep the pictures coming!

Chelsa said...

Good grief that's a lustrous-maned little lady! She is gorgeous and Mason looks like he is taking to big brotherhood quite gleefully. So glad that you are all home and happy and healthy!

Loretta Monroe said...

Oh Wow! Congrats! She is adorable and precious! Looks like Mason is so proud of his little sister! That's just beautiful!