Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nap Time!

I don't have a photo of my nap today so you will just have to use your imagination as you read on, but here is a special highlight from the week: 

Josh and Mason at Daddy's Teacher of the Year Hoopla this week...


So I am mere hours from the beginning of week 39 in this pregnancy and am wondering just how long this little girl will decide to rummage around in my belly like a scene from a science fiction movie.  Mason leaned in and said to her before bed tonight, "Hey baby you want to come out and get some hugs!"  She responded by giving me a swift kick in the ribs, which was followed by a big "pat" from Mason as he ran off to the other side of the room in his overtired, mischievous state.  Ah, siblings.

After all the hype of being put on bed rest, medication and an overnight stay in the hospital your brain begins to keep telling you, "Be careful she's not ready yet, don't overdue it or she will just pop out."  After countless appointments and excited nurses and doctors, "You made it to 34 weeks, 36 weeks, etc. no more medicine, she'll be here anytime now..."  I decided it was time to get things in order around the house.  I was in the clear, no need to overly worry about doing something other than lay around.  We unearthed the baby gear from the garage, cleaned it, did endless loads of laundry to wash all the clothes that friends generously gave us, set up her crib, made Mason's baby book, packed a hospital bag, fielded many a question and phone call about current baby status, ventured to the park with Mason by myself, rode slides in the heat with him, spent some days with Mason playing and visiting local hot spots, went on a shopping spree to take advantage of a sale to buy clothes that I can hopefully wear this summer after I am no longer pregnant and the one pair of maternity shorts I own are laid to rest in peace, boycotted purchasing any more maternity clothes even though the temperature has risen and most days are too hot for the maternity clothes I do own, did some gardening, wrangled Mason at the Teacher of the Year Award Celebration as it was finally Josh's turn to be in the spotlight and missed all the fabulous things being said about him because Mason was wild with boredom from sitting through a not so kid friendly event and running across the back of the room to hide in the corner and then squealing as he ran the other way...still this girl decides to hang out.  

She is a mystery.  I am done predicting her arrival or thinking it is right around the corner as they tell me I am already 4-5 cm dialated and they hope I live close to the hospital.  I am done thinking contractions have started when it seems to be that she is just taking advantage of the space she has created for herself and stretching out to full capacity for a bit to just fall asleep and let me realize that she was merely being an uncomfortable space hog and not really preparing to come out and meet us.  

I mean why wouldn't she want to meet us?  This is the question that brings me out of my rant and to the point of my original post idea.  Why wouldn't she want to come and meet her big brother who decided that while he was boycotting nap time and I was trying to take advantage of such a joyous occasion he would bring me his new duck umbrella because it is raining in the house and I wouldn't want to get all wet.  He opened it and set it over me on the bed.  In my exhausted state I didn't even care until he decided that it needed "fixing".  He is obsessed with being quite the "handy man" and proceeded to climb all over me to get to all sides of the umbrella to "fix" it complete with a running commentary of all his "fixing".  When this was complete he found his "flute" (recorder) and "sang" me a song on it with a glorious ear splitting sound.  Needless to say nap time was not in the cards for any of us today.  

5 comments:

Joshua said...

And I think we can all sleep in pajamas, or even in the buff... no more of this sleeping in our clothes, unless we had one heck of a great night.

Chelsa said...

Oh, how I can relate. I think when you have the early experience the first time around, the last few weeks drag even more than they do for the rest of the population, because you are on high alert for so long. Babies have a sinister and not nearly enough understood desire to screw with us, that's what I've concluded. We'll be thinking of you!

The Howard Bunch said...

You're making it too comfortable in there. :-) Maybe when she starts to jab your rips or stomp on your bladder, you need to give her a little poking back - let her know she's no longer welcome. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and I'm sure she'll be here before you know it!

Dad said...

Yup my granddaughter is going to have a mind of her own, that is for sure. Maybe just like my little princess!!!!

Loretta Monroe said...

Ah, those little boogers can totally mess with your mind. I was 2 & 3 weeks early with the first two.. so I was just ready to go at 37 weeks my third time around. Booger didn't come until well into the 39th week and he made me CRAZY! This may be the longest week of your life... but she will be here soon! Can't wait to see photos!