Monday, November 06, 2006

A Mom's Life

Looking after a newborn is hard work. Just ask Jen.

I returned to work a week after Mason was born. Back to school. Back to life. Work is work.

Jen has been keeping up her home routine with Mason. Those of you who have newborn experience know the drill... wake... change... feed... sleep... wake... change... feed... sleep... wake... change... feed... sleep... wake... change... feed... feed... feed... feed...

This is the routine. This is a mom's life. In a recent email to a friend, Jen wrote about the exciting events of her day:

"I just woke up from a huge nap. Mason and I got up and drove Josh [to a conference] this morning because parking is crazy downtown. Then we headed back home and hung out with Onyx and ate. Then totally crashed. He is still out so I get to take a shower and chat with you. I know this isn't an exciting story, simply a recap of an uneventful morning, but I felt the need to talk to you. It is funny, I always tell my students to share something about their weekend or whatever that was a highlight, not just the normal stuff such as waking up and eating breakfast...blah blah boring."




Jen's "normal stuff" might not be glamorous, and it might not make a great Hallmark movie, but I am and will be forever grateful for the time that she is giving to our child, our family. When we look back on these months, so many years from now, so many more feedings from now, it will be the "normal stuff" we will miss the most. The quiet feedings and the hours when time seemed to stand still and the world revolved around our new family.

Thank-you Jen.



Oh, and if you have a moment, drop Jen a note. She would love to hear about your "normal stuff."

2 comments:

Chelsa said...

You do fall into a routine that is a really bizarre combination of super busy and yet ridiculously mundane. Before Max was born, everyone kept saying to me, "soon you'll be begging me to come over so you can just take a shower", and I was like, 'why is everyone so obsessed with this shower idea? How much can one baby interfere with my ability to shower?' Now I know. I'm a bit dirtier, but I have a broader understanding.

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is does Mason share his mothers love of napping?