Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finding Meaning Is All A Matter of Perspective

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." This quote popped up on the TV screen at the restaurant we were at last Thursday night.  Josh and the kids had gone to the bathroom and I had a moment to myself at the table or I imagine I wouldn't have been looking at the screen.  I couldn't hear the TV, but the images of Martin Luther King Jr. and his quote got me thinking. I tried to imprint it in my brain because it struck me.  I remembered the main idea, but the exact quote not so much.  Thanks to the internet I was able to find it in a few seconds. The school day had begun with a different quote for our  "Thought for Thursday" Morning Message.   After students had shared their thinking about what the quote meant to them and I had shared my thoughts and connections one student asked, "So what is the real meaning?" I paused for a minute and tried to explain how meaning we take from art is personal.  The connections we find are based on our own experiences and perspective. 

I recently heard someone commenting about how a blog I love to read is not very real and she couldn't connect to that author's life because no ones life is really like that.  It is all too beautiful.  To me the blog inspires rather than shuts down my spirit.  It is easy to find the downs, the tediousness, the frustrations that life's stresses and chores can bring.  Everyone has them, I don't need to read about more of that on a blog.  I read to think about possibilities of what's to come.  I read to gain fuel for making meaningful moments.

"Mommy, we cook and then we dance!" - Ellie
My girl is becoming a girl.  She taking on more and more.  I am finding time to take on more of what I love to do, share it with her,  and learn new things too.  This weekend we made pancakes.  She announced, "Daddy we are cooking, I need my cape!"
Cape = Apron, when you put one on you have super powers.  You turn powder into breakfast!  And then you dance!  


Sunday night Josh mentioned the idea of getting up early Monday to go check out the relatively new donut shop downtown: Doughbot.  We had read of them selling out early on big days and decided early departure was in order. We bundled up on the chilly morning and decided Santa jammies for Mason would suffice and keep the spirit of the holidays in the air. The car ride inspired a photo shoot.  Ellie is becoming quite the photographer.


She captured my dreamy doughnut gaze. 

Self-portrait, and one of my new favorites.  Mason says it looks like she is going to hug me.  LOVE!

 The modest little shop with its hip bike out front created this box of edible artwork complete with tasty treats such as Meyer Lemon (heavenly), Peanut Butter and Jelly, Maple, Lemon Lavender, Blueberry Cornmeal, Vanilla, Chocolate, Maple Bacon, "The Picard", and 2 S'mores that the woman roasted before our very eyes.


Armed with coffee and anticipation, we braved the cold and took an outdoor table to dive into our box and sip our hot beverages. Gotta love our S'mores whether they are donuts, fabric, or the real deal out at the fire pit.


Sugar rush dance!


Family Fun at its finest.

Say, "SUPERPOWERS!"  ("Cheese" is so 2011)
Things that really matter:
*Giving yourself the power to be inspired and making time to make it real.
*Oh and don't forget to speak up about it.
*Pass it on.
*When you receive it back, don't be intimidated by its looks.
 *Find meaning for yourself, and keep it moving.
*Put your cape on, cook, and then DANCE!

1 comment:

Noisy Nora said...

You inspire me. I agree with you, I don't want to know all the messy details, I want to know what helps make happy happen!! I want more happy and less ho-hum!