Thursday, October 01, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship with Fall


The First Day of Autumn arrived in the heat of Sacramento, but thankfully we have begun to feel a little cooler. I love this season for oh so many reasons that I will not take time to mention. Over the past couple of weeks I have seen hints that this time is approaching and it shocks me because I still feel as though it is summer. The heat and being off work will do that to you.

Extending my maternity leave has been such a magical time that I hold dear in my heart and will remember always. As summer began the fall seemed far away. As I glanced off into the distance that would be fall I saw my return to work, Mason starting preschool, Mason turning 3, Ellie getting stronger, and all the joys that Mother Nature brings to us this time of year. It seemed far off in my newborn mommy haze, but now these glimpses that usually give me a rush of excitement bring a twinge of sadness and tear as I have come to realize my special time is quickly coming to an end. I am trying not to let these feelings linger and ruin these last few days so here I am to celebrate Mason and Ellie.

I love that our summer garden is still in production. I sent Daddy and the kiddos out to harvest a bit more beans for dinner and they had a basketful. Ellie tried to help as best she could. I wasn't there so I'll let Mason tell you.



Last night at dinner we decided to let Ellie try out the booster seat. She has been getting stronger and is very observant when anyone is eating around her so we thought she might be ready to join us for dinner. She jumped right in on the conversation and had much to say. Mason noticed, "Now we aren't missing anyone." As all our chairs were filled. Daddy, Mason, and Ellie were a total crack up.

3 comments:

The Howard Bunch said...

Carolyn was talking at the beginning of the week, about how you were returning from maternity leave and I couldn't believe it. Where has the time gone? I feel like just yesterday we were at Wholefoods talking about how you didn't have to go back until October. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you this weekend! :-)

Noisy Nora said...

Oh honey! I feel your pain and I wish I could win the lottery and help you and I stay home with our babies. Everything is going to be OK. Ellie and Mason will only know love and amazing fun from their parents. They are sooo lucky! We love and miss you. I will be praying for you to have strength and find peace within your first week. Love you, Nora

PaPop said...

Mason

Can Grandma and I have some beans? Yum.