Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!



I am thankful for family.  Mine arrived in town yesterday.  Mason was busting with excitement as he peeked out the tiny window at the top of the door.  Poppop! Uncle Tis, Dama! (Gs are pronounced D right now, our favorite is when he wants to eat "pomedamates").  It was a rainy morning and the fam arrived just before lunch.  Mason ran out the door to greet them bouncing with joy. We all had lunch and then after all the excitement of showing his favorite things, he crashed out for a long nap.  

Later that evening, he played like the wild one he can be after a solid 3 1/2 hour siesta.  He pounded on his drum and led everyone in singing his favorite songs.  He paraded through the house dancing with tiny teddy and so on.  Then as the evening crept on he developed a crazy cough that would not quit.  We tried the steamy shower room idea, the warm shower, the propped up pillow and still the cough.  As the wee hours of the night fell upon us he got a bit wheezy.  Josh was an absolute trooper.  He hung in there and tried to let me sleep amidst Mason climbing me and hacking away. We had to force the baby mask and asthma inhaler, which feels like absolute torture as he wiggles and resists it with all his might.  Yet, he finally slept and I lay awake worrying about our little guy.  Somewhere in there I fell asleep to wake with a dead arm that was under him and a body that was teetering off the edge of the bed.  He woke again struggling to breathe and we wrestled and got him to take a bit more medicine.  He slept the remainder of the morning completely taking over my spot and sprawling as I once did.  I couldn't sleep, so I did laundry and found some fun bargains online and did a bit of holiday shopping.  

I am thankful for my parents who stayed up countless hours with me and my asthma, my mom that would take me to the emergency room, which I was dreading the thought of last night, my husband that hung in there, the sleep that Mason finally got, the internet for providing quiet entertainment in the wee hours because doing dishes was just a bit too loud, and my brother who can sleep through the chaos of a night in our tiny plastic castle.

3 comments:

Loretta Monroe said...

Oh poor baby! I'm so glad he finally fell asleep. That's the joys of parenthood. The countless nights spent awake all night. The children that crawl into bed with us every night. I swear I wake up with a different boy every morning. I usually have to peek at the sleeping little angel to see who it is. Dave says I "sleep with 4 differnt 'men'" Sounds icky, but I guess he's not wrong! :o)

Anonymous said...

See what happens when you don't spend T-day with us! Oh, and you misspelled Poopop. Hope the little guy's feeling better!

Ian said...

That bench is sweet!