Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Christmas in Idaho Part 4 ~ Morphing into Happy New Year in Idaho

So this morning it hit me, like the feeling of reading a really great book.  I press on because I can't bear to put it down, but I fear the end is near.  Endings are hard. I want to get there and see how things play out, but then it ends. Endings...they make me feel the lump in my throat that I don't want around just yet. They make me sad when I just want to keep enjoying and feeling like the week is ahead and filled with possibilities. That lump that built as we chatted over breakfast about our upcoming day's plans and those of tomorrow. I fought it off, and then I saw it leap from me onto him and I pulled him near and hugged him.  She said, "Why are you already sad? We aren't leaving yet?" She knows him well.  


For her it's different. For her she really is like Dorothy in those Ruby Slippers, "There's no place like home." She finds it hard to leave at the front end of the trip, yet eager and ready for adventure.  She smiles when there is mention of returning home and packing and such. It's not that she is not happy here, but it is like that very favorite book you want to read again and again. You know it, find comfort in the expected, yet with each read you somehow uncover something new that you missed before and it is that bit that keeps you coming back for more. 

She doesn't want to dress in the "poofy" snow clothes and go out when there are plenty of new clothes and boots to wear inside the house and lots of room to dance around. Yet the adventures that await outside tug at her and she can be persuaded to look poofy because a fast speed sled awaits her at the top of the hill and the creek and "little woods" are calling her name. 5 degrees won't stop her. 

He presses on eager to see how things play out. Living all the bits as lively as he can, trying to forget that the last chapter is here. And with that we have arrived at New Year's Eve. There are some plans, some exploring to do, some memories to make.  I will ignore that lump in my throat and see how things play out. 

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Noisy Nora said...

I'm so sorry you have to say goodbye to your favorite people and favorite place. I love how you honor your feelings. I look forward to celebrating 2015 with you soon.