Monday, May 14, 2012

Oh How I Have Missed You

The early morning wake up with a bit of quiet time to think, to write, to embrace the moments that I have loved. I have so many stories to tell, but I know that time is limited this morning, so I will begin with just a bit and then unleash what remains another time. Oh how I miss writing, sharing, relishing the moments that make me stop and embrace, rather than overload. For being a mother can make you max out and be on warp speed where you forget your purpose for such speeds. It is when you allow yourself to step out of that for a moment and remind yourself "it all can wait that" you can begin to see that rushing around makes you miss out on the true gems of the moment. 


"We're firefighters, Mommy!"  They both shouted to me after spending time up in Mason's room Saturday morning.  Notice the yellow and orange badges they have taped on their shirts.
A friend of mine was overwhelmed by what she envisioned my mothering to be like the other day after reading one of my status updates. I had to laugh, "That was after I had to step back and give myself a break." I had hit my limit of whining, end of day exhaustion and had to walk over and sit myself out for a few. It was then, while sitting when I could see the magic unfolding in front of me.  


Ellie put on flippers as the sun was going down on our evening of play outside and wanted to go in our little pool. When I said no, Mason said, "Come on Ellie, you can come inside and put your swimsuit on and we can go upstairs and I will draw fish pictures everywhere and it will be the ocean. Mommy, come on, we need a lot of art stuff."


It was then that I realized I needed that.  I needed to dive in and play and play and play.  


We went upstairs and taped Mason's fish drawings to the ceiling and swam like we never swam before.  We were eaten by sharks, but don't worry, we were okay. Mason had his chainsaw and we escaped only to be eaten and chainsawed out three or four more times. 
I wish I had more time to write and to capture more of these moments when they come to mind, but even when I can't get them down on paper or here on our little ol' blog I try to remind myself to notice. 


There they are the pitter patter of Ellie's feet.  My usual wake up call that I was up before today.  She just came to find me and smiled.  I said softly as I picked her up, "I love you." 


"I love you, too Mommy."


I will snuggle up a few minutes of this before the day unravels. 


Happy Mother's Day mamas out there.  


And to my Mom, I sure do miss you.  Love you bunches.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly miss you and your family. I can't wait to visit you. Mom loves you so much.

Jen said...

I love you too. Mason was just saying how when you visit he would make you toast with butter and jelly because you would love it. I said you were coming for a whole week this summer and he was super excited.

Unknown said...

What a sweet Mama! I love that you swam in the ocean with your kids on a stressful day!