Tuesday, July 27, 2010

First came the chickens...


So in the spirit of my day of "Finish What You've Started" I shall attempt to finish a post I started back in February and then again in June. Since I don't know how to change the date or order of how things post I will start anew with a bit of cutting and pasting. Here is what I was saying back on February 27th:

The boys arrived home yesterday with these chicks...they are pretty cute. The boys and the chicks.
We went to visit our cousin's baby chicks the other night and Mason said, "I wish I could keep one." Josh has been researching and learning about them for a while now. Saturday morning greeted me with exhaustion, so Josh and Mason went to get groceries and let Ellie and I rest. A few hours later I got the call...
"Mommy I hope you got some good rest and we are bringing home baby chicks."

Josh and Mason had been to many feed stores in search of chicks and couldn't find what they were looking for. He told Mason we can stop looking when ever you want to. Mason said, "We can't stop until we find baby chicks!"

They found them and home they came. The first to be named was our little golden one that Mason named, "Grandma". Along with Grandma we have Grandpa, Uncle Chris, Lola, Charlie, Raven, Princess Buttercup, White Floor, and our Rooster, Hawkeye.

When Josh first told me his idea of raising chicks a couple of years ago I thought he was joking. Who knew we'd be farmers? I was not ready to take on the responsibility of chickens especially last year when Ellie first arrived. Even in February I was still not quite so sure, but the boys were. They knew and they love the chores. Mason wakes up each day eager to get out the door to check for chicken eggs. The other morning when he woke up I went to snuggle him and he said, "Nope I need to go outside and check to see if there's an egg."

Each day the treasure hunt continues. He keeps a careful watch and will come running with his hands behind his back. "There's something round my back... It starts with a...(pause for thinking of the letter it starts with)..an egg." This has progress into "...it starts with a chicken egg." Today he was so excited to show me that when he swung his arms around the two eggs cracked together. "That's okay," Daddy said, "I''ll hurry in and make you an egg burrito."


4 comments:

Loretta Monroe said...

Awesome! You guys are so fun!

Madhu Kanta Shringi said...

lovly the way u hold the chicks & narret the whol story.

Remme Family said...

Miss your posts, miss your pictures, miss your stories and we just miss you all!

Noisy Nora said...

Yoo Hoo?! Anyone home???